Saturday 8 September 2018

For Lorna

I had a good day at The Garage, supporting Beeston & District Civic Society where they and other local groups gathered to celebrate and promote the first of two Heritage Open Day weekends in and around Beeston (there are more events next weekend).

Whilst folding and handing out copies the Beeston Blue Plaque Guide as well as my Beeston map, I got to talk with lots of interesting people, including a lady called Lorna. This posting is for her.

I got into a conversation with Lorna about maps, especially local maps, and how they can help us see, and understand, the world a little differently. Lorna mentioned The Meadows in Nottingham, where she had done some work involving maps with students, which prompted me to remember our very first issue — hence the image below.

Why we asked for this photograph to be taken is explained in the Cover Story, which appeared on page 2 (click on the 2nd image to enlarge and read the text more clearly).



Looking now at what we wrote all those years ago we wouldn't change a word.

As I say, this is for Lorna, but if you enjoy and agree then I'm glad.

PS. I apologise if the text is small, but it is readable on my computer. If you would like a more legible copy of the text, please contact me. Robert.

No comments:

Post a Comment