Sunday 16 February 2020

Broxtowe Borough Council and Beeston student council tax exemption data summary based on Council data as at November 2019 and how it relates to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

As some of you will know I have been tracking Broxtowe Borough Council Tax exemption data since 2015, using Freedom of Information requests. The Council have always been helpful, as they have on this occasion. Personal health issues have prevented me from sharing this latest data for 2019 with you earlier and, even now, it is not as detailed as my 2018 maps and tables.

What has prompted me to create new maps is a note I prepared for the Beeston and District Civic Society meeting about Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) on Friday just gone. I do not know the outcome of the meeting. Below is a copy of my note to the meeting, followed by two maps I have since created using data I have extracted from the November 2019 spreadsheet I received from Broxtowe Borough Council. The data includes every postcode in the Borough and this would make a very long list, so if your postcode does not appear in the list below it means that there are no council tax exempt properties shown against your postcode.

It is important to appreciate that each pin on the map represents a postcode location – NOT the number of council tax exemptions. For those you need to check the postcode spreadsheet below the maps. 

NOTE: I screen captured the lists - hence 'reenshot' covering a few postcodes. I have entered the missing postcodes at the bottom of each list page.

Finally, the maps do no more than hint at the extent of HMOs in Broxtowe, especially Beeston. There are many than my maps show. I suggested a methodology to the Council in April 2015 which would have enabled them to compile better estimates than I could, which included using the electoral roll as well as recording ALL HMOs regardless of the number of tenants.

Click on the text, maps and lists below to enlarge:

NOTE WRITTEN FOR CIVIC SOCIETY MEETING ON FRIDAY 14 FEBRUARY 2020:



Students Discounts for single council tax properties will be a mix of lodgers and adult students living with a single parent/relative. Surnames may also be different and there will be some discounts with three different names that are actually families and not HMOs — hence my pointing out that Broxtowe Council is better placed than me to examine this data in more detail than me.





Missing postcode is NG8 2RW.



Missing postcodes are NG9 1AJ and NG9 1AL.



Missing postcode is NG9 1JX.



Missing postcodes are NG9 2EA and NG9 2EF.



Missing postcode is NG9 2JD.



Missing postcode is NG9 2WA.



Missing postcode is NG9 4FH.



Missing postcode is NG9 2LE.



Missing postcode is NG9 8GP.









No comments:

Post a Comment