Monday 16 July 2018

Beeston banner looks good and some thoughts of engaging with students

Simon at Pixels & Graphics on Chilwell Road worked his usual magic by taking my artwork and turning it into a banner. It was deliberately designed with space at the bottom for the name of a sponsor, someone who will help cover production costs. In this case it was Simon who gave me a discount, for which I say a big 'thank you'.

I spent Saturday on the Beeston & District Civic Society stand, at the annual Beeston Festival in Broadgate Park, folding and handing out the 2018 edition of my Beeston pocket map. The feedback was generally good. My mistakes seemed to go unnoticed, but I suspect some will come to light on closer examination. My maps are created in 'layers' which can be moved up and down, with the result that I sometimes bury parts of of the map, so they cannot be seen. My other problem is that I habitually do everything in a rush!

The banner is in the care of Judy Sleath, the Chair of the Civic Society, so you should see it about because it has been made to be seen.



Looking at my map and comparing it with the information on the Let's go to Beeston website it is possible to see what each of us misses or information which is out-of-date. If I do it again next year I may well include inset maps (for the stretch between City Road and Regent Street for example). I'd like to extend this version of the map beyond the station as far as Beeston Canal and the Trent, and down as far as Nottingham University's west entrance (as I have done with previous maps). As I have explained before, losing these areas was the price I paid for creating a map which enables me to mark every retail unit in the Beeston town centre area.

If you would like to borrow the map so it can be displayed at a meeting or in a building I'm sure this can be arranged.

A BEESTON FESTIVAL FOOTNOTE.
I am sure that the timing of the event has historical roots, but Beeston has changed and continues to change. If the Festival was held on a Saturday in May, Beeston's large (and growing) student population would still be about, able to attend and participate. You would also miss clashing with large sporting occasions, such as Wimbledon and international football tournaments which occur every other year.

A 'WELCOME TO BEESTON' EVENT?

I know from my years in Lenton that a good few students like to get involved with the local community, if given encouragement and the opportunity, but for this to happen there has to be engagement. Perhaps there is still time for some kind of 'Welcome to Beeston' event in late-September / October this year? It could take place on one of the market days at The Garage? The Middle Street Resource Centre would also make a good venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment